Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Location: Remote - US
Updated on: July 13, 2021
MediaMath is a leading global independent advertising technology company, working with brands and agencies. We created the first software for real-time media buying in 2007 and today work with over two-thirds of the Fortune 500 and more than 3,500 brands and their agency partners to grow and deepen direct customer relationships.
We have recently launched SOURCE by MediaMath which provides our clients with the most trusted, efficient, and effective way to connect their brands with consumers: real impressions on real media properties with policies and practices that respect the humans behind billions of screens and speakers every day.
We are seeking a Sr. Site Reliability Engineer well versed in large-scale distributed systems. Someone who will own the reliability and performance of those systems ensuring that our customers have the benefit of highly available and extremely effective products. You will do this by creating a bridge between development and operations, applying your software engineering mindset to various topics inclusive of system administration, observability, reliability, and performance. You will utilize your deep experience to simplify processes through automation while developing production software to continuously improve reliability and performance.
We work with many languages and technologies critical to the success of our platform including Golang, Scala, Clojure and, C++. Chef, AWS, ScyllaDB, Kafka, Prometheus, Kubernetes and many more. We expect that you have experience with most of these and also a passion for becoming proficient with many more.
· Use data from our observability stack and incident trends to prioritize reliability improvements
· Provide architectural guidance on our critical customer facing services
· Contribute to sprint development, executing on availability and performance topics within our product roadmap
· Mentor and consult with product, development, and operations to drive reliability best practices
· Work with Product Management and Engineering teams to answer priority concerns for reliability fixes
· Define SLI/SLO/Error Budgets
· Improve observability across all services
· Participate in On-Call rotations shared with development teams
· Automate deployment capabilities and implement auto healing philosophies
· Collaborate with development teams on best practices, infrastructure setup, and planning activities with a focus on stability and performance
· 7+ years of professional software development experience
· Significant experience with standard Site Reliability Engineering practices
· Firm understanding of SLO/SLI/Error Budgets
· Demonstrated experience developing non-trivial applications in languages such as Golang, Scala, Clojure and C++ (or similar)
· Broad experience building distributed and high throughput systems
· Proven ability to understand commercial context when working with product managers in a SaaS environment
· Strong written communication skills with senior management and team members
· Previous experience in the AdTech industry (a plus)
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Experience mentoring other Software Engineers
· Curious and capable of learning new codebases and systems quickly
· Passionate about reliability, monitoring, automation, and continuous improvement
· Willing to fail, fix, and retry
· Someone who likes to solve problems with code
· Someone with a desire to constantly learn and grow
· Someone who seeks out cultures that embrace diversity and inclusion
Why We Work at MediaMath
We are restless innovators, smart, passionate and kind. At the heart of our culture are six values that provide a framework for how we approach our work and the world: Teams Win, Scale + Innovation, Obsess Over Learning & Growth, Align then Execute, Do Good Better and Embrace the Journey. These values inform how we energize one another and engage with our clients. They get us amped to come to work. And, let’s face it, so do the free snacks, great benefits, and unlimited vacation.
We were named a Leader in both the 2018 and 2019 Gartner Magic Quadrants for Ad Tech, won four awards from the IAB for Sales, Service and Education Excellence, and received Best DMP in the 2019 Digiday Technology Awards. We have offices in 16 cities worldwide and are headquartered in New York City.
MediaMath is committed to equal employment opportunity. It is a fundamental principle at MediaMath not to discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, military or veteran status, marital status, gender identity/transgender status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, and other protected characteristic as established by law.