Principal / Staff / Senior Software Engineer - Data Specialist
Location: US - New York
Posted: January 17, 2020
MediaMath is a leading independent advertising technology company, working with brands and agencies. We created the first software for real-time media buying in 2007 and today work with over two-thirds of the Fortune 500 and more than 3,500 brands and their agency partners to grow and deepen direct customer relationships.
We have recently launched SOURCE by MediaMath which provides our clients with the purest media supply to connect their brands with consumers: real impressions on real media properties; real humans connected to with real ads, at scale; and a true and trusted data set that enables machine learning and attribution at scale, across channels such as mobile, Connected TV, Digital Out of Home, and display.
We need talent like you to fuel this next-generation ecosystem.
MediaMath has multiple senior software engineer openings at the Senior, Staff, and Principal levels. We’re seeking engineers who are very passionate about comprehensively processing data that comes in all forms and cadences, including high frequency, high volume streaming and batch datasets that have dependencies that need to be stored, indexed, and accessed in real-time and report-based scenarios.
Additionally, there needs to be demonstrated real world experience of maintaining and troubleshooting distributed clusters of database technologies as our on-premise and cloud platform spans the globe and requires an in-depth understanding of all aspects of distributed systems including host level and network performance/tuning, scaling and replication.
Candidates will work in multiple areas of MediaMath’s core platform including
- Real-time Bidding Platform with strong latency requirements and spanning global on-premise deployments
- Identity Graph where knowledge of graph databases including the processing and merging of billions of users via multiple user identity providers for accurately attributing and targeting users with relevant ads
- Core platform solutions including a Database-as-a-service whereby the team provides various databases via a service model that allows users to adjust scalability, reliability and consistency criteria and pick a cost-effective solution.
- Solid understanding of storing distributed data with a strong understanding of consistency tradeoffs, isolation levels, availability and resiliency.
- Thorough understanding of how to use different database technologies including relational and non-relational data modeling (e.g. Postgres, MongoDB, MySQL, Cassandra, DynamoDB, ScyllaDB, Aerospike, Snowflake) as well as distributed query engines (Presto, Impala, Spark)
- Experience of using at least one or more caching or in-memory stores (e.g. Redis, MemSQL, RocksDB)
- In-depth knowledge of how to maintain a distributed cluster including troubleshooting, performance and scalability tuning
- Strong philosophy on monitoring at scale and a SLI/metric driven approach to supporting SLO/SLAs
- Experience in supporting high availability via replication in both on-premise and cloud scenarios (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Strong programming background with intermediate to advanced expertise in one or more of Golang, Java, C++ is a must
- Expertise in manipulating data with binary communication interfaces (Protobuf, gRPC, Avro)
- Expertise in highly available, replicated, robust datastores like CockroachDB
- Expertise in Graph Databases (Neo4J, Neptune, JanusGraph) with a demonstrable ability to design the right data model for handling billions of entities
- Understanding and implementing distributed consensus and consistency models (Paxos, Raft, CAP) and CRDT based data types is a huge plus.
Why We Work at MediaMath
We are restless innovators, smart, passionate and kind. At the heart of our culture are six values that provide a framework for how we approach our work and the world: Teams Win, Scale + Innovation, Obsess Over Learning & Growth, Align then Execute, Do Good Better and Embrace the Journey. These values inform how we energize one another and engage with our clients. They get us amped to come to work. And, let’s face it, so do the free snacks, great benefits, and unlimited vacation.
We were named a Leader in both the 2018 and 2019 Gartner Magic Quadrants for Ad Tech, won four awards from the IAB for Sales, Service and Education Excellence, and received Best DMP in the 2019 Digiday Technology Awards. We have offices in 16 cities worldwide and are headquartered in New York City.
MediaMath is committed to equal employment opportunity. It is a fundamental principle at MediaMath not to discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, military or veteran status, marital status, gender identity/transgender status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, and other protected characteristic as established by law.