Thinking about mixing a little video into your next campaign? Our recent tips for planning and targeting your video campaign will start you off on the right foot.
But what then? How do you ensure maximum ROI over the life of the campaign? To make the most of your video investment, you’ll really want to maximize your returns starting as early as possible. So, we have a few tips for you:
- Optimize the experience: Video is an engaging medium, but it requires the right viewer experience to be effective. For instance, a great TV ad does not always translate well to the online world. Take into account the differing mindsets of lean-back and lean-forward viewing. Spend some time and resources in the production of a strong creative asset, focusing on the right duration (:15, :30, etc.), quality of content (professional vs. UGC), player size and device type (with an eye toward how viewers will engage in each environment.)
- Use algorithmic optimization: For efficiency’s sake, your video campaigns should be backed by a true algorithmically driven decisioning and optimization engine. Let technology do the heavy lifting to determine what’s working, and steer spend in that direction. This is where you will really ramp up your ROI – with real-time optimization minus the manual intervention.
- Embrace attribution: Understanding what’s driving the success of your campaign is a must, especially with your higher-funnel video ads. And without a click to count, it can be tricky to assess how much your video efforts are contributing to your overall goals. The good news is that there are numerous algorithmic attribution solutions available that allocate weight to each impression and track events through pixels. The output will tell you which impressions have the most influence over the conversion event so you can adjust your overall mix. This is another opportunity to optimize, enabling you to reallocate spending to media that have been positively identified as ROI drivers.
- Measure video to video: You’ve clearly defined your goals. You’ve targeted by audience layered with optimal location, day part and context. Now you need to understand how well you actually hit your target audience. Consider using online GRP tools to accurately gauge your success and to compare your TV and digital video efforts for an apples-to-apples analysis. Age-gender/frequency-reach reporting will verify your efforts and inform any adjustments going forward.
- Cap and trade: Watch frequency caps and sequential targeting to avoid over-saturation. While repetition is important for building brand recognition, there is a point at which it can have a negative influence on results. Mix up formats and messages to keep your brand top-of-mind without going over the top.
As with all your online formats, don’t be afraid to make changes throughout your campaign. Adaptability is one of the great benefits online video has over TV- the ability to gather real-time results and respond on the fly with a shift in targeting, frequency – even creative. And remember, we’re always here to help you optimize your video campaigns to achieve maximized ROI.